Monday, March 15, 2010

Stop Smoking Today

The decision was made. P and I discussed it, thought about it, discussed it some more, put it off a week, discussed it again, and finally decided to do it. We are quitting smoking today.

Yesterday morning we had 13 cigarettes between the two of us, so we divided them equally, and rationed them through out the day. I stopped at Wal-Mart on my way home from work last night and bought the patches. I quit smoking years and years ago, only to start up again 10 years later. When I quit before I was pregnant and was able to quit cold turkey. So I have never used the patches, although I have heard from a lot of people I know, Including P, that they are wonderful and they work.

Last night wasn’t really too bad. I thought about having a cigarette while we were just sitting around watching TV, but reminded myself that I was wearing the patch and needed to give it some time. I made it through the entire night without making an emergency run to the gas station. Now lets see how I do at work today, around an office of people who smoke and a very stressful upcoming day. P seems to be having a little more difficult time of it. I just keep reminding him that this is best for both of us and the kids. I have all the faith in the world that he will be able to do this with me, I understand the first few days are tough but I know we can do this together.

Now the hard part, not gaining a ton of weight from stopping. To help this I am cutting out almost all sugar from my diet. I have started using Splenda in my morning coffee at work and bought a bag when I went to the store yesterday to have at home. We are going to cut way back on eating out, start eating more salads and veggies. I am taking vitamins again. And we are going to renew our membership to the gym, and get our bikes road worthy.

Also sometime over the next few days I need to do some major house cleaning. I need to try to get the cigarette smell out of the house. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I was thinking of stocking up on Fabreeze and candles and carpet cleaners etc., but do these actually work to get the smell out? I can’t smell the cigarette odor now, but I have a feeling that after a couple of days smoke free it is gonna bug me.

Anyway, time to get ready for work, so until next time, hugs…